Curtis,
OK, found a good deal from Amazon, so it should be on its way tomorrow.

On Aug 6, 2006, at 4:31 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

> Hey Sal,
>
> It is in all the libraries around here.  It is both chilling and
> comforting.  It explains a lot.  I think 1 in 100 have diabetes, and
> we all know someone with that.  Here we have 1 in 25, so that pretty
> much means this is a condition for a few people we know.

Probably more than a few, since most of us know at least several
thousand at any given time, right?  Not well, of course, but as
acquaintances.

>  The case histories in the book make you think about your past and
> people pop up as functioning differently in this odd way.  I had
> always thought of
> it as a condition like Ted Bundy had or something, the criminals.  But
>  they represent just a tiny fraction of the functioning sociopaths.
> The rest are going about their everyday business like the rest of us,
> but without the conscience that binds the rest of us in society.

Yep, most lead ordinary lives, as the title implies.  There is so much
mythology out there about this condition and the assumption that you
have to be a serious weirdo in order to have it.  But all it takes,
from the sound of it, is the ability, so to speak, to not feel anything
after hurting someone else.  I agree with the author, I think it's very
prevalent, and I think our callous society encourages it and encourages
the people who have it to hide it.

> Some are dumb, some are smart, just like everyone else.  But they are
> Martians inside and interacting with them always has a peculiar
> mind-fuck quality.  You will love the book since you seem to share my
> fascination with people's psychologies.  I look forward to hearing you
> take on it when you do!

Thanks!  This has been a good summer for reading.
Sal