"> Enjoying pain implies empathy, just inverted."

No.  That is not how they are processing it according to this author.
A sadist may operate the way you describe, from empathy.
But the result is that sociopaths experience pleasure in tormenting
others as if it is a game and they are winning. Are you arguing points
from a  book you haven't read?  The Amazon quote is not enough
information.  If you are arguing from another source expert on
sociopaths let me know I would like to read it.

<salsunshine@> wrote:

> > been
> > and

Sociopath