http://tinyurl.com/kgg4r

 "Congress has put some other limits on the government's use of the
number. Most government agencies can ask for the number, but usually
only on a voluntary basis, and they're supposed to tell you when it's
voluntary. Only a few agencies can demand the number outright, most
notably the Internal Revenue Service.

The private sector, on the other hand, is free to demand the Social
Security number, whenever it wants do; a situation that sometimes
leads to a test of wills with customers"