In a message dated 8/20/06 9:07:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

In a message dated 8/20/06 7:07:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> MD, you recount these extreme measures by past presidents
> as if they were all justified. I'm not ready to assume they
> were. For example, I've encountered many citations of
> Lincoln suspending writs of habeas corpus, but not one
> citation has ever said, "And history proves he was
> correct to do so." Same with FDR's internment of
> Japanese Americans.
>
> If history teaches me anything from the above
> examples, it's that presidents take reprehensible
> actions under stress.
>

> And you know what? What Bush is doing is far less invasive than
anything any
> of these other presidents did and having far greater success in
> accomplishing the goals. If you read the poll from the Washington
Post you will notice
> that even 65% thought it was necessary even if it violated privacy.
Only about
> 30% or less opposed it. These are the hard core Bush haters that
don't trust
> him on any account and are just looking for something to complain
about. If
> Bush had a judge reviewing every wire tap as they came in, on the
spot those
> same people would be complaining and demanding to know if it was a
Bush
> appointee or a good liberal judge that will play politics with the
program and be
> a thorn in the side.

I thought FDR monitored EVERY transatlantic communication (via the
atlantic cable) unknown to the public of the time.

JohnY

Every democratic president did things that had a republican president done them would make  today's liberals scream. Yet FDR , JFK, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are gods who could do no wrong. I guarantee you had FDR been a republican that interred Japanese during WW2 there would be a current movement to erase his name from history after demonizing it for a couple of generations.