> wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> > > I guess my questions for the group as a whole are:
> > >
> > > 1. *Is* it important to you to believe that Maharishi
> > >    was/is enlightened?
> >
> > No, because the operative word is "believe".  Belief has nothing
> > do with it.  He either is or isn't and since I cannot prove it
one
> > way or another, who cares?
>
> *Barry* obviously cares, Shemp.  He asked this
> question over and over again on alt.m.t, and now
> he's starting with it here.  (Or maybe he's already
> asked it here; I can't remember.)

I still think it matters, because besides the technique, which was
taught, there is all the intellectual knowledge;
And ironic as it may seem, I think Maharishi attracted to him, at
least at first, people who were willing to question, him, about the
experience of enlightenment; people who were more mental than
devotional...a more intellectual path...
And his main trademark: 'Life is Bliss" isn't this the main aspect of
the experience of enlightenment;
and notion of 'spontaneous right action',
so many thousands of questions, over the years, and so many answers;
I think I even recall him saying one time, something about asking
good questions, is the only way to 'draw the knowledge' out of him...
It really baffles me, how some people could question whether he is
enlightened or not; can't relate to this notion at all.
I would say this: Even in Jesus' time, there were some that would
not, or could not recognize him, for who he was;
And when asked to perform a miracle to prove who he was; he refused...
Enlightenment cannot be proved to someone who does not believe in
enlightenment.
Some people are not open to see, what is there...
R.G.