It seems to me that reports from people who have
experienced a teacher as enlightened (e.g.,
deep transcending and silence in the teacher's
presence) are inherently more persuasive as to
the teacher's enlightenment status than reports
from those who have *not* experienced the
teacher as enlightened.

That's not to say that it's *impossible* for
someone to experience a teacher as enlightened
when the teacher really isn't, by any means;
it's just counterintuitive.  It's not especially
counterintuitive, in contrast, for someone to
experience an enlightened teacher as not
enlightened.

> Robert seems to have missed the point of what I said
> more than I believed it possible for any human being
> to have missed the point of anything ever said. :-)
> I don't expect him to do any better with this followup,
> but I'll give it a shot in-line below:

I read this again.  Contrary to Barry's claim, I
can't find *anywhere* that Robert radically
misinterpreted what Barry wrote.  There were a
couple of terminological issues; and Robert asked
for clarification on several points.

Was that what freaked Barry out?  Or was it the fact
that Robert didn't seem inclined to question his own
experience that MMY is enlightened on the basis of
Barry's experience that he isn't?