On Sep 8, 2006, at 7:57 AM, Peter wrote:

> I've always regarded much, not all, of Lynch's work as
> "film school crap" Lynch has a very creepy aspect to
> him that can be manifested in his films. Ever seen
> "Ereaser Head" ? It is a disgusting, grossly over
> rated sick film. The clip in discussion is just more
> pretentious film nonsense. Notice the chromakey effect
> (or whatever it's called now in digital film making,
> it's been a few decades!)with the male actor? What's
> that for? I just don't like his work. I see Lynch as
> quite disturbed. Something is "off" in his psyche.

But he doesn't act disturbed--in fact, from the weekend he spent here,
he sounded and acted almost normal. :)

It could be that he's simply bored with the more "traditional" style of
making films, ie telling a story with some kind of beginning, middle,
and end, and with the characters relating to each other in something
that at least tries to resemble real life, and that he's trying to
create something different, to "push" the medium, as it were.

If that's the case, more power to him.  My problem with his films, at
least Mulholland Drive, the only one recently I've had even the least
desire to sit through, is that they're weird, scary, and ultimately,
for me at least, boring.  What the (bleep) went on in that film?? There
was little story line that I could identify as such, and the characters
seemed like they were cut out of comic books. It reminded me of nothing
so much as a "deep" movie that everybody is supposed to think is great,
even though no one really had any idea what the (bleep) actually
happened, but are too scared to say so, thinking that it's their
problem, and that everyone else got it because they're so much smarter,
more perceptive, etc.  You know, kind of like the trip the TMO lays on
people. :)

Anyway, Lynch himself seems nice enough, and I'm sure he's
talented--maybe one of these days he'll start making movies people
actually want to watch.

Sal

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional