> On Oct 15, 2006, at 9:15 PM, new.morning wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks. The mac pro is less expensive than a similar Dell.
> > Surprising, I want to study it more.
> > But still, in the benchmarks, other aticle, a two core gateway killed
> > the four core Mac running windows apps. Still not a contest yet.
>
> I've not seen that and it sounds incongruous with benchmarks and
> articles I've read--or you're most likely reading or misinterpeting
> something. New Mac systems, running XP, run apps as fast or faster
> than a comparable wintel machine. In Mac OS X, similar operations run
> faster in Mac OS X in Universal Apps. Non universal apps will take a
> performance cut.
>
> In fact the first article I sent had the following quote:

I am drawing from the first article you sent me.

The gateway apears to be one dual core right? Thats what I see from
reading the Dell spec page. Am i missing something. It does seem odd
to run a benchmark of a 2-core  vs 4 core machine buit that appears to
be wht they did.

The AMC pro is two dual cores right?

So even if the performance is equal, a two core PC is as good as a
4-core MAC running the came Win aps under windows. That is no contest
then. An equivalent test of a 4 core PC would thusly kill a 4 core MAC
running win apps under windows.

And in this
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macpro.ars/7

It shows a bout a 10-20% hit when a MAC pro runs a program under its
OS vs under windows. So presumably, there is some overhead in the
windows "emulator".

Sowhile I might consider a mac if similarly priced and if it gave
similar peformance for 2x2 MAc against a 2x2 PC,  both running windows
apps under windows, that seems far from the current case.

And as I said, the real questions is a 2x2 comparision of 64 bit,
multi-processor optimized win apps running under Vista. I keep my mind
open, but if the MAC PRO is so far behind now that a single dual core
PC can equal its performance, I have small hopes that it can catch up,
particularly in the 64-bit mutilprocessor optimized software / vista
environment. But I am sure in your True-Believer MAC ways, you will
find some logic to graps to to see MAC as breaking ahead from so far
behind. :)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: