<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I enjoyed the trip down memory lane of movement history.  It seems to
> me that blaming the people under the heads of the movement in the
> organization for how it runs, is buying into one of MMY's more
> cockamamie ideas about "deservability".

Well, deservability is another name for that "cockamamie" thing called
karma. Hardly a MMY concept or creation. Like I said at the beginning,
the piece is premised on karma. If you reject the mechanics of karma
as being real, you reject the model I suggest (but am not necessarily
sold on.)

> Another explanation might be
> that MMY is just not a very pleasant guy and runs the group the way he
> wants it.

Sure, there are lots of possible explanations. And they are not
necessarily mutually exclusive.

And my experience is that from 67-72, MYY was a very nice guy. Very
accessable, and giving.  73-77, pretty nice guy with some quirks. So
that fits the karma model. He reflected, and gave out what people
needed. As the TMO population changed, so did his reaction and
management of it. The sign of any good manager. (and what they needed
was also their karma.)

>He attracts the kind of person who enjoys having the power
> that goes along with phrases that begin with "MMY wants..."

That was pretty much post my era. Apparently, that power thing
attracted you. :)

Again, your point, IMO, supports the model I suggest. A different type
of TMer emerged in 77+ and they had lesser and lower motives, "spirit"
and karma than those preceeding them. And they got to dwell on and
exercise their pettiness, and got what comes with that -- a petty and
rigid organization.

> This
> group displays the same kind of unkind and often idiotic behavior that
> is common among power brokers in any group, like Congressmen or
> Senators.  So mix in some well intentioned people who are controlled
> by the more ruthless in power,

Again, the ruthless and pettiness you describe were dominant post my
leaving the TMO full time in 77.  Some trends of it 75-77, but not
dominant in my view, on my watch. And the new breed, the new kids on
the block, emerging in 75-77+ created a new group population, group
consciousness perhaps, that as a whole created and deserved, and even
needed, a petty ruthless, uncompassionate organization. (per the
model, again I am not necessarily buying totally into this rather
cartoon version of karma)

The TMO I know in the mid-late 60s, early 70s was not IMO, petty or
ruthless. Rather it was highly supporting, compassionate (you paid
what you could), energetic, fast-growth, exciting, open, and fun.
Nothing scary or dark.

> All without blaming the followers, who must cower to the
> powers that be or be denied getting on courses.

Again, nothing like that in my era. At humboldt 70, all the teacher,
and the organization, were highly amicable, supportive, and cool,
about my desire to become a teacher. I was in Europe (France) in fall
of 1970, and decided I wanted to change my plans attend the European
TTC in Malloca (at that time, the americcan TTCs were still scheduled
for US) and people like Eileen Forestal in UK, and Mde Karvane in
Geneva were SO very supportive and accomodating to make it happen for
me. Absolutely no cowering of any form on my part. It was like having
concierge service at a 5 star hotel. I stayed on for two extensions
for a full six months. Everyone very encouraging and supportive. ATRs
were always a breeze for me to attend. My six-month in course was
highly supported by the movemrnt. Jerry madr a special effort to
approve some project work credit for me enabling me to attend.

If in your era, cowering and fear-based actions were necessary to
attend courses, well -- what can I say. :) Sorry that was your era /
experience.

Either you can see yourself as a victim, and buy into the culture of
victimization, or take responsibility for things that happen to you.

>Other than some
> magical effect of a group dreamed up by MMY, there is no way for a top
> down authoritarian organization to be influenced by members.

And the TMO was far flatter, far more flexible, fluid and supportive
from 1967-75 or so than you seem to have experienced. Sorry you didn't
get to experience the golden years. Poor you. You clearly are a
victim. You ought to sue! :)

Clearly it had nothing to do with you. You were undoubtedly pure, and
of exceptionally sound judgement, going to work full time for an
organization you saw as, and characterize as, petty and ruthless. What
exactly did you expect?!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: