> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jyouells2000" jyouells@ wrote:
> >
> > I want to know if they got in with H1-B visas as spiritual
> > programmers.
> > Or could they be the beginnings of a new fund raising caste?
>
> I think the latter is a given, right? They're the
> TMO's "Jerry's Kids."
>
> The visa thing, however, *would* be good to know
> the details of. I used to work in NYC with any
> number of Indians who had been brought over to
> the US by their relatives. The relatives were
> billing these guys' services to Chase Manhattan
> Bank for $50 an hour while paying them $5 an hour
> and putting them up in the YMCA. The poor guys
> who were being treated like this were afraid to
> say anything or do anything because their relatives
> had convinced them that under the conditions of
> their visas they could *not* seek other work or
> doing anything other than what their bosses (in
> this case their sleazy relatives) said.
>
> We (me and a few other programmers) did the home-
> work for them and found out the real details of
> their visa situation and sat them all down and
> told them the truth. As a result, most of these
> guys were able to renegotiate their own direct
> contracts with Chase Manhattan, and tell their
> relatives to go fuck themselves. We also informed
> Chase Manhattan what the relatives were doing and
> the bank reacted by taking them off the "approved
> providers" list. Sometimes things work out the
> way you'd like them to.
>
> Anyway, I think "it would be good" :-) if someone
> found out what the visas these guys arrived here
> under really say, just in case any of them get
> tired of generating Woo Woo Rays, and are prevented
> from doing so by those they trust.

You did good.  'Sleazy' relatives, what can I say?  I was thinking more
along the lines of Madonna.  Adopt a pundit:  Wisk them away from
confused fathers to live in a 'mansion'. Maybe that's following the
trends a little to closely though...

JohnY

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional