> In a message dated 11/1/06 12:40:26 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Ha!  That's a great response. But "Carry" was making a
> clever joke about Bush's  poor academic performance and
> being "stuck in Iraq." Its actually a clever  joke and
> I can't really believe that people authentically
> believe it is  some sort of put-down of our troops.
>
> I can't actually believe that anyone would think it
> was a clever joke! I mean, when did Kerry ever put down
> the troops?

You meant to say why anyone would *not* think it was a
joke.

> Comparing them to Genghis Khan doesn't count.

Let's just give that a little bit of context.
Here's part of what he said before the Senate
committee:

I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that
several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over
150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans
testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated
incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full
awareness of officers at all levels of command....

They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off
ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human
genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies,
randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of
Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and
generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the
normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging
which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

We call this investigation the "Winter Soldier Investigation." The
term "Winter Soldier" is a play on words of Thomas Paine in 1776 when
he spoke of the Sunshine Patriot and summertime soldiers who deserted
at Valley Forge because the going was rough.

We who have come here to Washington have come here because we feel we
have to be winter soldiers now. We could come back to this country;
we could be quiet; we could hold our silence; we could not tell what
went on in Vietnam, but we feel because of what threatens this
country, the fact that the crimes threaten it, not reds, and not
redcoats but the crimes which we are committing that threaten it,
that we have to speak out.

http://www.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/JohnKerryTestimony.html

Read the rest of it, because his testimony has
also been grossly and maliciously distorted by
the right wing.

In the first place, he wasn't "accusing" the troops
in Vietnam of atrocities, contrary to the wingnut
spin.  He was *reporting* what they themselves had
said they had done.  And the point was not to hold
the troops up to criticism but the civilian and
military leadership who were running the war.

Kerry has *never* spoken ill of the troops.  He's
their fiercest defender.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: