--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
> wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > Depends on what you mean by each of those terms. For some
> > > subset of definitions, you can't have one without the other.
> >
> > "Exchanging" wasn't the right term; "sacrificing"
> > would be better.  Your comment is closer to the
> > point I was trying to make: If, as Tom urges, you
> > stop standing up for truth because you want to be
> > loved, whatever you get in exchange for the sacrifice
> > of truth isn't going to be worth bubkes.
> >
> Tom says absolutely nothing in his post about 'truth'- The word
> doesn't even appear in his post. You have chosen to equate insisting
> that you are always right with championing the truth. Not the same
> thing at all.

Yes, that was an interesting "flip" of words.

What Judy says is true: if you stop standing up for truth because you
want to be loved, whatever you get in exchange for the sacrifice
of truth isn't going to be worth bubkes. (Quite parallel to that
expressed by Ayn Rand "heroes".)

However, "stop standing up for truth" is IMO quite different from what
Tom said -- or what I inferred from it. My inference was that while
one can (should) always stand up for truth, one should state ther
point and sit down. Standing up for truth does not mean keeping the
argument going until every one aquieses and explicity agrees with you.
Or perhaps just falls over from sheer exhaustion.

The deeper point I take from Tom's statement (as he and many have
expressed elsewhere) is that knowing that "our" truth is absolutely
true is difficult to "prove" absolutely. Thus a bit of humbleness with
respect to our truth claims is prudent.

And "I" am not my truth claims (whether they be true or not). That
intellect thing, next door, makes such claims, but that is his thing
(dharma as Peter likes to say). "I" am not my intellect, though I love
the dude.