In a message dated 1/1/07 11:20:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

In his  own mind, he was about to die a martyr.

Sociopath that he was, he had a  very powerful
personality that wouldn't be likely to fall apart
in the  face of death. He knew this was the end,
and he was determined to do it  well.

I would have to go with this take on Saddam. He knew what was coming and  had
lots of time to prepare for it. Had he been in the hands of his American
jailors up to within a couple of hours of his hanging I could conceive of them
giving him a mild tranquilizer to help him be calm. But I think he had been
handed over to Iraqi authorities long enough that anything would have worn  off
and they definitely wouldn't have wanted to do anything to make his  execution
easier.... for him.