Richard, you make some good points.  But I don't think Mahesh Yogi would ever
make the claim he surpassed his teacher.  Personally I think he sees himself as
a sort of Saint Paul in relation to Jesus, if you will pardon my Christian
reference:  much lower on the spiritual pecking order but he happened to be a
right person to get the job done.

"Richard J. Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:          Jonathan Chadwick
wrote:
> You seem to be forgetting that Shantinand was eventually
> declared by a later version of the same committee to be
> unqualified so he stepped down.

Committees down in Kashi don't get to decide who is a Shankaracharya
or not and neither do civil courts in India. In my opinion, and in the
opinion of millions of others, the committee appointed Swami
Brahmanand to be the Shankaracharya - the committee should have not
attempted any other interference after that. Mr. Sundersan agrees with
this.

It is clear that Guru Dev wanted one of his own close desciples to
succeed him, thus Swami Shantanand who was specified in a will. The
will has never been contested in any Indian court of law.

But it's really a moot point who is the Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath -
the point is that the Mahesh Yogi was obviously much more than a mere
clerk. What the Swami Swaroopanand said in the Kropinsky interview was
untruthful. In fact, it was the Swaroopanand who was not in the
desciplic succession, having gone over to another saint, as you
pointed out in your post.