> > Barry, you're far and away the most consistently
> > uptight person on this forum.  You simply cannot
> > tolerate disagreement with your views.
>
> Yeah, right, Judy. Like the "discussion over
> wine" I had with Curtis the other day, the one
> in which we held completely opposite viewpoints
> on karma, but in which there was no uptightness
> or intolerance. Or, at least there wasn't until
> you tried to barge into the discussion and turn
> it *into* an argument, calling my opinion "a
> 'false reading' of what karma as determinism
> implies. You probably noticed that we both
> ignored you, because we were having a mutually
> respectful discussion, and you wanted to turn
> it into something else. :-)

Let's have a look at the comment of mine
Barry refers to:

------

[Barry wrote:]
> Someone
> who believed in a (IMO) false reading of karma as
> determinism would never even *try* to come up with
> technologies to ease the suffering of those born
> with birth defects; they'd think somehow that the
> kids "deserved" them.

FWIW, this is *by no means* a necessary consequence
of a reading of karma as determinism. It's a "false
reading" of what karma as determinism implies.

------

This is what Barry perceives to be "uptightness
or intolerance" on my part.  In fact, I was simply
*making a correction* to Barry's misunderstanding
of karma as determinism.  No "argument" was
involved or necessary, just acceptance of the
correction by him.

Barry appears to see the phrase "false reading" as
somehow inflammatory, when in fact I was echoing
the very same phrase *he* had used in the quote
immediately preceding in (incorrectly) putting
down the karma-as-determinism view.

I couldn't possibly have made my own points more
definitively than Barry just did for me: he cannot
tolerate disagreement with (or correction of) his
views; and no matter how mild a comment a TMer
may make, he perceives the TMer to be "uptight."

Notice also the fantasy element I mentioned in
my earlier post: Barry imagines that I wanted
to start an argument because he and Curtis were
having a "mutually respectful discussion," even
going on to suggest that I was "threatened" by
his (incorrect) view.

It's quite obvious from the foregoing who is
*really* feeling "threatened" here.

Thanks for playing, Barry!