On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Marek Reavis wrote:

> [Maharishi and the TMO have long been strong proponents of avoiding
> anything that evenly faintly smacks of anything "hippie".  As an old
> hippie, and living in a part of California where hippie culture still
> flourishes, I find that unfortunate.]

I always have as well.  It really just occurred to me that rather than
being anything against hippie culture per se, that since many of us
have so many pleasant memories of that time and feel so much of a
connection to it, it was more of an attempt to get us to deny our
collective past (and therefore an important part of ourselves) so the
TMO could then "remake" us in its own image, sort of like the army.

It was the same way with other stuff as well, things the TMO said were
important in the beginning, but that they clearly had changed their
minds about after a few years, like family.

However, if you really want to see someone still heavily involved go
nuts, just mention the Beatles. :)

Sal