On Mar 12, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Jonathan Chadwick wrote:

I guess what I'm looking for is a straightforward account of the sources of where these practices come from. If "the gods" in Vedic literature are synonomous with "laws of nature," as Jon Shear (mid-1970's) and Bevan Morris (8/88) indicated to me in conversation, then I feel a straighforward account is in order, e.g what does it mean to "see" and/or "talk to" a "law of nature?"

You do realize that by "laws of nature" they mean "devas", gods? The place these forces of nature "reside" is heaven, or the "unified field" in TMO lingo. The Vedic priests "communicate" via the rules mimansa to invoke these gods for your benefit.

In other words, they use mantra to perform a magical rite on your behalf.