Comment below:

**

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can always count on an interesting, reasoned response from you
> Marek!  Thanks.  Really excellent discussion of Guru Dev's private
> funding.
>
> In my own case, my life of privilege made it easier for me to
renounce
> it and become a monk for MMY.  I didn't really understand the hard
> earned value of the life my father had provided.  That perspective
has
> been corrected big time in the ensuing decades!   I give GD less
> credit for feeling as if he didn't need to worry about money, that
it
> would come to him.  Lots of rich kids believe this.  Most of the
> fulltime people I worked with in Sidhaland came from good families
> with plenty of cash.  It can make you more confident to take the
risk
> of a road less traveled.  As I have said before, I am not impressed
> with his minimalistic camping skills.  I know guys who pull that off
> here too.
>
> I view this magic money claim as significant.  It may even be the
> first thread in unraveling a carefully constructed mythology about
his
> life.  I think that the very act of using the claim in an advocacy
> piece in advance of his visit is a blatant manipulation of readers
who
> were in no way able to confirm or refute such a claim.  In fact even
> asking the question would be viewed as an assault on his holiness.
> This kind of claim is an obvious con and I do believe that Guru Dev
> was in control of his press, so I doubt it was just MMY doing
> something stupid without his approval.  But it cuts to the quick of
> what we think about his integrity so it is important.
>
> For the story about his integrity to be meaningful one has to
believe
> that he did in fact have a magical source of money as claimed.
There
> [...]
> confidence in how the world works and uses it to show that he is
> different from you and I.  Like the Bible, if you decide that the
> physical proof claims lack validity, you can still believe if you
want
> and may may even construct a "reason" why such proof is not needed.
> But the writer's intention is to use a claim about the physical
world
> to increase credibility. It engages the part of our critical
thinking
> that would rightly be impressed if such a claim was backed by good
> evidence.
>
> Let me put it a different way.  I smell a rat here.  I believe that
> MMY was lying about the money thing. We are left with an absurd
> implication that Guru Dev is a magic money maker. I think that this
> was a show to build confidence at first.  Later when a person was
> sufficiently hooked, MMY shook them down as efficiently as he has
done
> his own movement all these years.  They no doubt welcomed the
fleecing
> and felt special from it.  I think MMY has got more than a little PT
> Barnum in him and I am getting an idea where he may have learned
it.
> I think it does tarnish GD's rep for being so pure and holy to see
> through a such a  ploy.  I just need to see the one time that a
person
> bends spoons with magic to conclude that I have seen enough of their
> "real magic".  Perhaps he felt the end justified the means, but I
say
> the means suck.  You don't have to tell lies to get people to think
of
> you in a spiritual way do you?
>
> Isn't it funny how MMY uses a claim about material conquest as his
> credibility in the spiritual area.  It reminds me of those wealth
> preachers who use their flamboyant riches as a way to attract people
> and convince them of their special religious powers. Of course free
> public lectures are a great way to expand the believer base.  I see
> some spiritual people do this today.  They make a big fuss out of
> refusing money at first,  but then they let you give a lot more
later
> when you are an insider.  It is a tactic for increasing confidence
and
> is a part of most good confidence games.   A good con knows that
> making a show of not taking the small stuff sets you up for the real
> killing later.
>
> I can hear MMY talking really quickly here: " Of course as you know
> his Divinity doesn't take any donations, but he does let true
devotees
> fund their own projects.  Here are a few projects that you can fund
> without giving any donations."  What do ya bet that there was an
> elaborate way that non-donations got collected?
>
> Seeing this use of ridiculous hype makes me much less apt to see
Guru
> Dev in an innocent light.  Since he went from "camper" to being
> worshiped as a god, I think he just might have gotten sick of
sleeping
> outside.
>
> Thanks Marek.  You make using one of my posts worth it!

**snip to end**

Thanks, Curtis, hut I think you're making some assumptive leaps here
that aren't wholly supported by the evidence available.  First of
all, the documentation that Guru Dev actually had signs posted about
his ashrams, including Jyotir Math, re his refusal to accept
donations seem real enough.  Secondly, there does seem to be ample
evidence that he did live the life of an ascetic from 9 or 10 till
the time he was made Shankaracharya when he was 72.  Certainly, that
doesn't mean that he always lived in caves and, India being India,
the fact that he was recognized early on as being an enlightened
saint had to mean that whenever he chose to come in out of the
jungles or the rain he could easily stay at any number of devotees'
home (and the bios speak of affluent devotees), and most likely did.
He probably did not have to, and very well might not have, lived the
lived of a penniless sadhu for very much of his pre-Shankaracharya
period.

Nevertheless, the bios and ancillary anecdotal evidence all testify
to a personality that was seriously focussed in spiritual sadhana and
for a long time (20 years) refused the comfort and power that being
Shankaracharya would have provided.  Moreover, his eventual
acceptance was also characterized as reluctant.  In this context (and
maybe others would argue in other contexts, as well) Maharishi may
not be the most credible or unbiased source, but it does seem that
Guru Dev continued to live a spartan life even as Shankaracharya
according to that press release.  And others have said similarly.

Furthermore, Guru Dev's personality seemed authentically a
renunciate's, and in the most traditional style.  The likelihood that
he truly did not want to be involved with management decisions (and
actually wasn't) isn't unreasonable.  And a personality like
Maharishi would be a natural fit to take on those type of tasks; he
would have been drawn to them as the most natural way to be of
service.  You're 100% correct about Maharishi being totally into PR;
it's something that he naturally does, though clearly seems out-of-
synch with what lots of folk feel would be more effective.

The scenarios you speculate about, re Brahmachari Mahesh doing the
behind-the-scenes lobbying for rupees as a backhanded way of
obtaining donations that Guru Dev was publically refusing, is more of
a projection backwards in time of a contemporary and critical view of
Maharishi, and wholly unsupported by the evidence as to Guru Dev.

I have confidence (for whatever that's worth to you) that Br. Mahesh
was a totally real guy just sincerely in love with Guru Dev and he
was just doing anything and everything he could to show him how much
that was so.  One of the emotions I cherish the most is that
wonderful sense of surrender -- of giving it up and giving your all --
and knowing that it's right and all good and that you're saved.  It's
the same in many religious conversions and spiritual traditions and
such a part of India's history, of course.  I'd expect that many
here, though they no longer experience that emotion and don't expect
that there is anyone or anything that could evoke it again, still
remember it's intensity and unique configuration.  I'm sure that true
bhakti was underlying Maharishi's intitial career and lasted long
into the 70s.  I don't know, maybe it still does to some degree or
maybe even large measure.  No way of knowing.

Anyway, that's some more grist for the mill.  Thanks for the
discussion, as usual.

Marek