On May 22, 2007, at 8:00 PM, bob_brigante wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "uns_tressor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John Davis" <mcxg46@> wrote:
> >
> > But since then I have suffered increasingly
> > from insomnia. Not to a dreadful degree, but
> > I'm lucky if I get three hours sleep a night...
> >
> Get your teacher (or someone else) to teach you
> the asanas. Do a couple of sets before you go to
> bed. If your problem is "tossing and turning" all
> night, you can think of asanas as concentrated
> "tossing and turning". If you are still awake
> a couple oif hours on, get out of bed and do
> another set.
> Uns.

This is absolutely wrong advice for most people. Doing the asanas at
night will cause one to wake up in the middle of the night, although
doing them during the day is certainly a good idea.

There is always the possibility that the stirring of vata may exacerbate people already prone to vata types of insomnia and precipitate it in others who are doshically inclined in that direction. But people need to learn to take responsibility for their own balance by observing their own condition and taking care of the necessary issues on their own, as they are able.

I like the yogic ideal of sitting up when you sleep in order to master the state, but that's difficult for most to do realistically.