Judy's question yesterday got me thinking.  I am not a moral
relativist so I do have beliefs that I think are "right".  I also hold
values that I consider "better" than some I encounter.  How this all
plays out in my discussions with people is another story...

I live in an immigrant community and actively seek out contact with
other cultures, so I am very often exposed to various degrees of
prejudice or bigotry of one race or culture towards another. Even when
I was in the movement my GF from Denmark expressed an attitude about
Germans that I thought was overgeneralized.  But I thought to myself,
"I guess if you have grown up living close to Germany for the last
century you might develop some strong opinions."  I remember talking
with a Korean chick who was sounding like a Southern redneck about
black people.  Her family had come to the US and started a dry cleaner
shop in a bad part of DC.  Her views were overgeneralized for my
experience of black people but not her own.  Dating a black person
exposed me to the racism in the black community towards the shade of
color of skin.  I never met a white racist that would put black people
to the "paper bag test" but this not an uncommon racist view in black
culture.  Asians hate each other so much that I think the term "Asian"
is useless.  Could I explain to survivors of Nanking in China that all
Japanese are not murderous torturers?   Should I?  The South Americans
I live with despise the Central American immigrants I live with.
Central Americans are often poorer when they come here and many of
their countries were too war torn to continue a complex culture, they
are often just trying to survive.  I dig my El Salvadorian neighbors
but right now MS13 members are hacking people up with machetes so
people who have lived with that terror probably hate them all.  What
point could I make to my Vietnamese GF whose boat was attacked by Thai
pirates 7 times on her way over to Australia about my love for Thai
culture?  She hated them all and couldn't give a rat's ass about my
Kumbaya vibe.  Is she overgeneralized about a culture, sure, was it
hard earned?  Yes.  My African neighbors hate American blacks.  Since
I am so white I am almost transparent, I don't get involved with
changing their views.  They are oil and water and don't mix.  I don't
come across gay bashers very often, but I guess I just assume they
either don't actually know any gay people so they think of them as
cartoons, or that they are gay themselves in a gay-unfriendly culture
so they have to repress it.  If you hang out with gay people you hear
too many queen jokes to get all huffy when a straight person makes one.

I grew up in a prosperous time in an era of growing social awareness
with a lot of privileges, and this has shaped my perspective that
there is good and bad in all cultures and people.  In particular I
have the privileged white person's  liberal view about the good in
people from all cultures.  I think this  is a  "better" way to live
and feel "right" about it.  But I am not confused about how my views
got shaped by my experiences just as prejudiced people's did.  I
worked at experiencing other cultures enough to see them in the
positive light I do, but this was the luxury of not fighting them in
war.  Having fought through the Pacific in WWII my dad will never view
Japanese people with the same ease I do.  Should he?  So I don't know
if I hold the value that Judy proposed that it takes "cojones" to
speak out against the prejudices I encounter.  I will usually say
something like "my experience is different since I have friends who
are " fill in the blank".  But I am really only standing up for my
friends not their whole race or culture.  I am not changing any views
or doing any good either.  I am not spreading my Kumbaya hippie values
because they were gained though experiences that were too different
from the people I am talking with.  So I try to understand the history
of how they got these values.  I learn about the distinction in slave
life between the light skinned "house slaves" and the darker skinned
"field hands".  If black people are sometimes still influenced by this
aspect of their history it is really none of my business.  I can
achieve understanding in this life, but I have had very little luck
persuading people out of their prejudices.  It is hard enough to keep
 these weeds out of my own garden because for all my Kumbaya values, I
know that I can be just as much of an ass myself in how I
overgeneralize people from my own limited experiences.