--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "qntmpkt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  My ambition (among other things), is to find out what
> makes "ordinary"  people -i.e. not on the Spiritual path - tick in
> terms of their reluctance to practice any type of Spiritual Sadhana.
> For the most part, I blame myself for not coming up with something
> demonstrable to offer them.  Any talk of "pure Consciousness" only
> meets with a blank stare.
>  Perhaps a dazzing display of Sidhis would turn such people on. What
> do you think?

Another with mystic and unsatisfied eyes
Who loved his slain belief and mourned its death,
"Is there one left who seeks for a Beyond?
Can still the path be found, opened the gate?"
 -- from Sri Aurobindo's Savitri.

I find that in many respects people not on the spiritual path have no
compelling reason to be *on* a spiritual path. As I've said before,
none of the people I know at work, as acquaintances, as relatives, as
neighbors, or just meet casually are practicing any kind of spiritual
practice, and are for the most part happy, congenial, generous good
humored souls. Many of them I find to be extraordinarily evolved and
comfortable with themselves.

The idea that many seekers hold, including myself at one time, that we
are somehow special is just not true. What is true is that TM and TMSP
works in such a way to very efficiently clean our bodies and the
earth's atmosphere of stress and tension. Nothing special about that
either, or really on par with the blessed souls that remove the refuse
from my house each and every week. Or the wonderful and generous
people who aid me in getting food at the store every week. Or the
dedicated tanker truck drivers who make it possible for me to drive my
car to work, and the enlightened souls at work who help to make each
and every day a joy for me.

We each play our part, and to see others who may not have found the
unique set of circumstances in their lives that compel them to take up
some regular and evolving spiritual practice as lacking somehow is a
false view, imo. To hold the view that if only more people would
meditate, everything would be better is a great hope and desire. But I
have found it is best to be very careful with such thoughts; before
you know it the ego is splitting the world into us and them.

Especially in the last ten years I have observed that many of the next
two generations of souls are really remarkably clear and evolved, much
more so than our generation was. It is a great credit to all of the
meditators to bring this about, to usher in an age where such great
souls feel comfortable alighting on earth in greater numbers. I see
them everywhere, especially the successively younger generations,
which reminds me of another excerpt from Sri Aurobindo's epic
poem, "Savitri":

...I saw them cross the twilight of an age,
The sun-eyed children of a marvelous dawn,
Great creators with wide brows of calm,
The massive barrier-breakers of the world,
Laborers in the quarries of the gods…
The architects of immortality.

Into the fallen human sphere they came,
Faces that wore the Immortal's glory still…
Bodies made beautiful by the spirit's light…
Carrying the Dionysian cup of joy,
Lips chanting an unknown anthem of the soul,
Feet echoing in the corridors of Time.

High priests of wisdom, sweetness, might, and bliss;
Discoverers of beauty's sunlit ways…
Their tread one day shall change the suffering earth
And justify the light on Nature's face.
(Savitri, pp. 343–4)