An absurd story for gullible westerners by other sentimental
westerners. If MMY wanted to follow his guru in death all he had to
do was jump into any funeral fire or any sacred river to perform
sadhu-sati. Just remember the story of how shocked Alexander the
Great's troops were when the Indian sadhu traveling with Alexander
sat down on the pyre in meditation posture to exit this burning
sansara. Why would we need a cute story like this except to overcome
our doubts?

By the way - GD was a danda sanyasin. Was he not buried in a grave or
given a stone samadhi as fits a dashanamin?