--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "boo_lives" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
<snip>
> there's a PhD dissertation on the history of the tm mov't that's
> online (and I don't remember where I put the link) that states that
> MMY accompanied an aunt to the south of india on that first trip to
> rameswaram.  the guy seems to have done his research and came up
> with that fact, which means a whole mythology about the inspiration
> for that trip may have come up after the fact.  has anyone else
> heard about MMY taking a family member with him to rameswaram.

No, the "mythology" is right there in the
dissertation, along with the ailing aunt.

>From the dissertation by Jay Randolph Coplin:

After about one year of ascetic seclusion at Uttarkashi, in a place
called "valley of the saints," Maharishi Mahesh Yogi accompanied his
ailing aunt from Calcutta to a medical facility at Madanapalle in the
southern state of Andhra Pradesh. By his own admission, he was
responding not only to the request of his relative but more directly
to an irrepressible impulse to "go south" and visit the temples of
pilgrimage at Kanchi, Rameshwaram, and Kanya Kumari.

http://members.aol.com/drcoplin/SRMemergence.html

So he apparently dropped her off at Madanapalle
and continued south.