--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  (snip)
> >
> > The dynamite never bothered me at all, and many
> > others. Really. It bothered a few people, and I
> > guess they're the ones who had talked to the course
> > leaders about it and been given a "Go away, every-
> > thing is being taken care of" story.
>
> But, don't you see the metaphor of this story...
> This whole thing seems like it really did bother you!
> You've used this to illustrate a whole attitude toward the
> TM thingy...
> In that you seem to want to blow the whole thing up?
> So, obviously this is something to let go of, as it seems to
> still be unresolved, for you...?

It was used as an example of a mindset that interests
me, that's all. There was no criticism of either
Maharishi or the TM movement involved, just a fascin-
ation with the phenomenon itself -- people in a
spiritual tradition making shit up, attributing it
to their teacher, and feeling no compunctions about
doing so. I've seen it happen hundreds of times.

This is *not* unique to the TM movement. It happens
in pretty much *every* spiritual tradition. *That*
it happens in pretty much every spiritual tradition
is what interests me about it. It's an interesting
slice of human nature, one that makes religious
scholarship very difficult. How can you do an
accurate biography of a spiritual teacher if his
or her followers thought that they were free to make
up things and claim that the teacher had said them?
Look it up; it's a well-recognized issue in the
world of religious studies. Catholic scholars are
plagued with this all the time. That's why it's so
difficult to be made a saint; so *many* people just
make shit up about the people they consider saints
that the Vatican has to assure itself that the
miracle stories are true.

I think you're trying to imagine an insult where none
was intended. Curtis pointed out an interesting aspect
of these conflicting stories -- that either Dr. Varma's
account is knowingly false or Maharishi's account is
knowingly false. I presented an example of similar
fictions that are told every day in the TM movement,
and attributed to Maharishi as if he spoke them.

I personally believe that Dr. Varma's story is just
another example of this same phenomenon, that's all.
If you don't, no problemo. You get to have your
own opinions, as do I. But I should point out that
by believing Dr. Varma's story is true, you are
choosing to believe that Maharishi's story was
knowingly false.