> > Sounds to me as if several people are buying into
> > the pre-publication memes being spread by Dan Brown's
> > publicists to pave the way for his next best seller.  :-)
>
> To follow up, here's some information from Wikipedia.
> I just think it's hilarious that people like some of
> the folks who are so full of fear on this group are
> working themselves up into a full-fledged obsession
> based on the work of *publicists* who are spreading
> memes to hype the sales of an upcoming book.  :-)

Uh-huh. Except that folks have been engrossed/obsessed
with these "memes" for far longer than Dan Brown. Sorry
to disappoint, but he didn't invent this group of
conspiracy theories any more than he did those about
Jesus and the Magdalene.

*You* may be reading about this U.S. Freemasons stuff
for the first time from Brown's publicists, but you're
a bit behind the curve.

Oh, and besides the post hoc propter hoc fallacy, you
picked the wrong putdown. Conspiracy theories appeal
to folks not because they're afraid but because they
like to feel they're in on a big secret.