I’m reading through all these posts tonight and this was a good one, which
I’m inclined to implement. If I do, I’ll make a more concise announcement.

From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of new.morning
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 1:30 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Enforcement of Guidelines

Rick,

we have precedents for enforcing the guidelines here, including
successive week bans on violators of the 35/week posting limit. We
also have a precedent for your trying out common sense administrative
polices for which there is not yet a consensus (the 35 post/week limit).

Thus, its not inconsistent, there are precedents, for your
experimenting with administrative policies to enforce the guidelines,
for which there is no consensus yet.

And there are precedents for temporary bans on people who violate the
guidelines. And while some guidelines may be too ambiguous to enforce,
explicit flaming of another is not.

I suggest that you try for one month, doing successive/cumulative 1
week bans (2 weeks for second violation, etc)
for blatent flamers. That being define as direct insults, attacks and
profanities directed towards another poster. Strong criticisms of
ideas of fine. Strong and often rude criticisms and attacks of a
poster's personality or motives are not.

One last constraint for not doing this is that you don't have time to
monitor such. You don't need to. Anyone who feels they or another have
been personally attacked, insulted or sworn at, should write you,
off-line, stating their case. the offending post(s) should be
hypertexed. You can then decide on a case to case basis. Or if that is
too time consuming, pass it on to a panel of three.

I say complaints should be written off line to spare the grandstanding
and flaming debates that such a public post may incite. A blatent
flaming post is obvious. Such a post does not require public debate.
You know what a blatently flaming personal insulting post is. There is
no ambiguity. Simply use your good an common sense.

So there are no good constraints to implementing this.

1) the guidelines are explicit and longstanding.

2) there is precedent for enforcement of the guidelines via
successive/cumulative one week bans.

3) Identification of direct insults, attacks and profanities directed
towards another poster and often rude criticisms of a poster's
personality or motives are not ambiguous of subjective. They are clear.

4) Implementation will not require much, or even any if you choose, of
your time.

5) There is a need for such enforcement. For example, Bronte's posts
cite a number of valid points. And why a lot of considerate people
with good ideas don't post here.

6) Such enforcement does not in any way constrain the free-wheeling
anything goes in the realm of ideas. POVs, discussion and criticism of
such.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
4:40 PM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.