Rick wrote:

  Sometimes it’s hard for me to tell what’s derogatory. When I first introduced
this topic, Bob Brigante said, “Piss off, you idiot” and I took that as humor.
Edg has a problem with Nabby’s “You need a checking.” The obvious implication
is “you’re meditating incorrectly and if you were really doing TM properly then
you would be thinking clearly, like me.” Is that a personal derogatory remark
or just a reflection of Nabby’s world view, which doesn’t trouble me in the
least?

Bronte:

  The "you need" phrasing (in "you need a checking") is a clue that someone is
stepping on someone else's toes. If not insulting them, at least certainly
telling them what they should do. When a person starts telling others what to
do, I think it always borders on an insult.

  The safe thing is to keeps remarks impersonal and focused on the topic (not
the poster). Then one stays far from the edge of the cliff. Why should we treat
people less civily here than we do in "real life"? Society has rules for what
is considered rude, and in social situations we are happy to abide by those
distinctions. Why shouldn't they be good enough for us here?

photos & more.