<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Judy: "Would you acknowledge the possibility that for
> one who has very thoroughly studied crop circles,
> what may seem "biased" views to you may in fact
> be quite objective?

Rereading it, I'm not sure I made this question as
clear as it should have been.

I *didn't* mean to suggest that someone who has
studied crop circles simply *perceives* him/herself
to be objective because s/he's done a lot of
research.

I *did* mean to suggest that it's possible someone
who has looked closely at all the data may actually
*be* more objective than someone who has not
regarding what appear to be extraordinary claims
(i.e., that the circles are not all manmade).

If that's what you were answering "yes" to, Curtis,
good for you. (And note I'm not *asserting* that
such a person is objective, simply suggesting that
it's a possibility--that the data *may* actually
point convincingly to the conclusion that the
circles aren't all manmade.)

I think there can be a tendency to assume that
someone who supports an extraordinary claim is
biased in favor of that claim, whereas they may
be supporting it on the basis of solid evidence--
that is, objectively.

Trying to determine which is the case, from the
outside, as it were, is really difficult.

> Would you also acknowledge that your own view
> is distinctly biased, especially given that you
> *haven't* studied the phenomenon?"
>
> ME: Totally "yes" and "yes".  The chances of me having to shift my
> perspective from what I had coming in is 100%  That's why I am
> enjoying the ride.
>
> Judy: " I don't know that you should even carry that
> > particular "theory" around in your head as a
> > provisional goal if you're seriously looking
> > into this stuff, because it's liable to
> > automatically bias you against the phenomenon
> > by setting up two alternatives: Either the
> > circles are manmade, or they're made by aliens.
> >
> > Better to look for what can be *ruled out* as
> > possible explanations, and then take account
> > of what's left.
> >
> > Final point: There are many layers to the hoax-
> > versus-genuine aspect of the crop circle
> > phenomenon, in the sense that there's some
> > evidence of a highly motivated and determined
> > counterhoaxing movement, i.e., spurious claims
> > to have made certain circles, dubious claims
> > about the number of hoaxers, and so forth.
> > This makes it quite difficult to come to any
> > solid conclusions, which may be the reason for
> > the counterhoaxing efforts.
> >
> > So use the same degree of skepticism when
> > evaluating the purported claims of hoaxing as
> > you do when evaluating claims about "genuine"
> > crop circles."
>
> Me: Excellent in every way.  I wish I had written it!  This
> subject is such a perfect mirror for how I approach new fields
> of knowledge that I have a bias with.  Thanks.

Crop circles is a particularly tough field for this
kind of endeavor for a lot of reasons having to do
with the nature of the phenomenon. I can't think of
another "paranormal" area in which there is this kind
of competition between researchers and hoaxers, where
the hoaxers aren't trying to *get away* with their
hoaxes but are making a point of the fact that they're
doing them, if you see what I mean.

If you have lots of time on your hands, you might be
interested in reading a *long*, very detailed,
generally theoretical discussion between a skeptic
named Brant (posting from sci.skeptic) and me
(posting from alt.m.t) about bias (both skeptical
and non-) and how it can skew testing of extraordinary
claims. We covered a lot of ground pretty thoroughly,
and with a relative lack of hostility and emphasis on
logic and reason. Several other people contributed as
well.

It had nothing to do with crop circles, but I thought
it brought out some interesting points concerning the
epistemology of testing such claims.

The exchange is in the thread titled "If he's
interested in a scientific test, so am I," and it
begins here--

http://tinyurl.com/2jrc88

--about six posts down, with a post of mine dated August
16, 1998. It continues through August 25, after which
Brant dropped out and the thread diverged into other
topics.

I won't be offended if you don't want to read it!
Maybe just file away the URL for when you have
nothing better to do.