Dear Roozbeh,

Thanks for your efforts to provide us with an experimental version of
the new standard keyboard layout for Persian !

I tried the keyboard in Word2000/Win2000, using Arial Unicode MS which
displays all glyphs that can be generated via the keyboard except Riyal
sign and Subscript alef. I am not quite sure in which context standalone
versions of maddah, hamzah above and hamzah below are used, but assume
they are there because they are in the Unicode standard. Standard
shortcuts of Word for C, R, and T also work with the Persian keyboard.
What does not work is Word's AutoCorrect option for "smart quotes", i.e.
neither quotation mark (U+0022) nor apostrophe (U+0027) are converted
into their "smart" equivalents; I wonder if this feature is
keyboard-(dll)-related but if it is, I suggest to implement it as well
as many users, especially in bilingual context, may want to use
typographically correct English quotation marks.

How would you input ZSNJ, and RTL/LTR markers with the new keyboard?
(These special characters aren't mentioned in keyboard.png as well.)

I also wonder whether there is any accepted standard to show alef
maqsura on keytops. In keyboard.png, you use an initial shape of ya
without dots which may be misleading; how about using isolated ya
without dots but with a superscript alef (I remember this was a keytop
inscription on a keyboard for an Arabic/Persian typesetting machine that
I use many years ago...)

Are there any decisions as to support other regional languages such as
Kurdish or Azeri? If the ultimate goal is to support several languages
using an "extended Arabic" glyphset via one and the same keyboard, my
feeling is that some Shift or Alt key positions may have better been
reserved for special characters of these languages, or defined as
deadkeys to create certain "accented" characters (as in case of the US
International keyboard).

Best regards,

Peter E. Hauer
Linguasoft