On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Linguasoft wrote:

> No other keyboard I know for "extended Arabic" languages provides keytop
> positions for standalone versions of maddah, hamzah above and hamzah
> below, although it might make sense to use these keys as "deadkeys" to
> type compounded glyphs alef-madda, alef-hamza, waw-hamza, etc., in order
> to have keytop positions that are presently occupied by these compounds
> free for other characters or symbols.

That is a limitation of the software you are using. These are combining
ones.

> For comparison, European keyboards or the US-International keyboard also
> do not include standalone versions of all accents, and use many keys
> (accent keys and others) with a "deadkey" function to generate accented
> characters.

Just for the record, I oppose any "deadkey" mechanism for any Arabic
script keyboard layout. The notion is rather complicated, and is only
familiar to the Europeans. Asian people are used to live keys instead, the
ones that appear after the letter.

roozbeh