Ahoy,

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 15:01, David Berry wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2006, at 11:50, Tom Chance wrote:
> > With a nod to Crosbie's email as well, I didn't say "I'm an RIAA/
> > MPAA fanboy",
>
> No-one said you were. Although there was an implicit assumption that
> copying copyright work is somehow morally wrong, rather than whilst
> acknowledging the legality, the morality of the situation is very
> much more ambiguous.
[snip]
> Why is it controversial to you? Can I just repeat - IT IS LEGAL IN
> SWEDEN.

You're putting words on my keyboard again, David, and fabricating 'implicit
assumptions' that you know personally I wouldn't make. I said the overall
issue of copyright, copying, bitorrent sites, etc. is controversial.

> > I said I thought that film (or at least part1) put the case pretty
> > poorly.
>
> I wonder what 'case' you are referring to? Their case, well made, is
> that Pirate Bay is a legal site in Sweden, that they have wide-spread
> support across the country and it is only by strong-arm tactics by
> Washington's State Department threatening the Swedish state (i.e.
> through bare coercion). The Swedish government then acted ILLEGALLY
> (i.e. against Swedish law) and also anti-democratically (i.e. without
> any popular mandate to do so) in forcing the police  to act (even
> though the police warned the government that they had no right to
> seize the equipment) and even more, that it is actually illegal for
> the government minister to order the police to act in this way in the
> first place.

Well, there you go, you've explained the case I was referring to. Thanks for
that.

I probably just watch too many documentaries, but in the back of my mind I was
thinking, "what would my non-geeky friends think if I showed them this? What
about my supervisor, who's pretty cynical about the free culture movement?" I
can't imagine the film holding their attention and persuading them that (a)
they should care about Pirate Bay being shut down, nor (b) that what Pirate
Bay is doing is in any way commendable, though if they paid attention they'd
certainly pick up the best story which is (c) the US Government strong-arming
another country into illegally and undemocratically accepting its version of
the law.

> In any case, I don't see how the aesthetics of the film need
> undermine the message.

For me the style of the film makes it difficult to watch.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the film. I still don't like it, nor
Revolution OS, nor Sex & the City, but I guess we all have our own tastes and
opinions on these things :o)

Regards,
Tom

--
The task of critique is not to denounce the ideals, but to show their
transformation into ideologies, and to challenge the ideology in the