Hi!

My name is Maíra Canal, I'm Brazilian, 20 years old, and currently, I'm
studying Computer Engineering at the University of São Paulo. I'm a huge
Fedora fan since Fedora 34. I mean, I have two laptops, and all of them
run Fedora. I have Fedora stickers on my backpack and my nickname at the
University almost became Fedora as I was a Fedora evangelist on the campus.

I tell more about the way learned about the Fedora project in this blog
post [1], but, short story, I was pretty mad with Pop_OS!, watched a
YouTube video, and got madly fascinated by Fedora 34. Installed and,
since then, I and Fedora live a love affair. I love the Fedora community
and how the distro is managed, although I wasn't a direct part of this.

But, I would like to change that. I really want to help Fedora become a
better distro each and every day! Ok, so let's hop on to my skills.

My first contribution to open-source was in October 2021 to the Linux
Kernel. Since then, I have over 20 patches merged to mainstream and a
couple more on review [2]. I also have contributions to
meta-openembedded, kworkflow, and IGT.

Moreover, I speak Brazilian Portuguese natively, so I have already done
some translation work for GNOME.

I'm also pretty engaged in the open-source community in Brazil, as I
have contact with three important college-related FOSS groups.

Currently, I'm part of Google Summer of Code on the X.Org Foundation. My
project is related to KUnit and AMDGPU drivers, and you can check more
on that here [3][4].

Ok, that's my FOSS background. About my skills:

- I really like to program in C, C++, and Rust. I also know how to
program in Java, Python, and JavaScript, but it's not my passion. I love
to work with low-level code and system architecture.
- I use Git as my version control system.
- I know how to package a simple rpm package.
- I like community development and outreach (FYI I found out about
Fedora Join while looking for Fedora Ambassadors).
- I speak Portuguese natively and speak English fluently.
- I don't have any other OS other than Fedora (as you can check on [1]
if Fedora doesn´t support, I build support but I don´t install a new
distro). I use Fedora Workstation with GNOME.

I believe I would fit well on some development projects or community
development projects. I would really like to see the Fedora community in
Brazil grow (maybe see a Hatch in São Paulo next year). Also,
documentation and translation are jobs that I could help with.

Regarding communication platforms, I have used mailing lists before (on
the kernel). I'm always on Matrix/IRC, so I believe that's my favorite
real-time chat platform. I never moderated any forums.

In terms of volunteering, I believe about 6-8 hours per week. Sometimes
less (in finals week for example), sometimes more (vacation).

I guess that's it! Thank you for your attention and time!

[1] https://mairacanal.github.io/kernel-development-fedora/
[2]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?qt=author&q=Ma%C3%ADra+Canal
[3] https://mairacanal.github.io/gsoc-22/