Is it possible to use the whiteboard pattern for an event-driven application?

I have a prototype of what I want to accomplish using the listener pattern. I experienced first-hand the extra admin of getting service references, etc. I've read a couple of the tutorials which describe using the whiteboard pattern in OSGi but they aren't event-driven. The timing of these examples is controlled by the event-listener, not the event source. I need the interaction to take place when the event occurs, not when the listener gets around to it.

Am I missing something obvious or should I just stick with the listener pattern?

Perhaps another way to ask this is, what is the best way for an event-driven app to use the OSGi service registry?

Thanks,
 Tim