Thank you everyone for your very kind welcome, and for taking time to offer
suggestions.  I feel better already!

My main focus right now is the little orange guy, Cotton.  I don't want to
treat him as if he isn't going to be with us for a long time.  I would like
to see him eventually neutered (he's maybe...8 months old) and most
importantly would like to see some of his underlying health issues taken
care of so he feels better and has every chance to fight for his life.
Despite feeding him all he wants (and he wants!) he seems thin and small for
his age to me.  He's done better since he's been with us, but all I know
about his history is that he was runty and his mother was a small cat.

Sincerely,
Sandy C.