That is great news chandra,my thoughts are with you and your buddha. :)
Sherry

chandra simms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was a little hesitant to post anything this morning.
I am a bit afraid that you might all be getting
irritated by me posting so many LONG emails about
Buddha everyday, but I am just so happy and really
wanted to share a our good news, since I am POSITIVE
we wouldn't have this good news without all of the
happy thoughts, positive energy and healing prayers
that have come from this group.

Yesterday after I posted my last email, Buddha walked
over to his food dish and ate almost the entire bowl
of his hard cat food. The vet put him on special
kitten food because he refuses to eat soft canned cat
food (don't know why, but he always has his whole
life) and she said that he needed high protein food
because Carbs. feed tumors. He didn't really take to
it last week and then he stopped eating all together,
but now he can't get enough of it. I was actually
worried at one point that he might make himself sick
he was eating so fast.

Later in the evening he walked into our bedroom where
I was reading and sat on the floor next to the bed
until I picked him up and put him on the bed next to
me. He laid on my chest and stomach purring and
sleeping for almost 2 hours. Then when he finally
woke up and wanted down, he walked to his water bowl
in our bedroom and drank for 5 solid minutes. I guess
it might seem excessive but I have 4 water bowls
placed around our house for him because after starting
his Prednisone 2 weeks ago he was ALWAYS thirsty and I
didn't want him to have to walk all the way to the
kitchen just to get a drink of water. By the end of
the night he had finished off his bowl of food and ate
another 48cc of the liquid food from the syringe.

I called the vet tech. this morning and she said that
since he had consumed so much water and food on his
own that he didn't need to come in for fluids, which
is so nice because that saves us a 2 1/2 hour round
trip in the car, which he hates and really stresses
him out.

His cough sounds horrible, but it doesn't seem to be
getting any worse or bother him too much and he is
breathing through his nose again.

There is a vet who will be taking over at my vet's
office 3 times a week starting on Monday. I can only
assume that this vet has the same philosophy as my vet
so I will give them a call on Monday.

I didn't know this until recently, but Dr. Ballard has
a sort of FeLV hospice in her home. She cares for
anywhere from 10-15 cats at a time. Some of them she
even gives blood transfusions to, when the cancer
spreads to their bones. Learning that made me feel a
lot better about trusting her suggestion not to give
Buddha chemo. Evidently it would be somewhat similar
to giving chemo. to a 85-90 year old human diagnosed
with cancer. I have been told that the side effects
would be harsh and make what little time he has left
miserable.

Thank you again for your words of support and good
thoughts.

Chandra, Julian and Buddha

--- wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Good morning Chandra,
>
> I hope Buddha is feeling well this morning. You
> might
> be feeling a little lost without your vet for two
> weeks during this crucial time. And right now, two
> weeks is too long to be without a vet. Can your vet
> or the tech recommend another vet to care for Buddha
> while your regular vet is away? You really need a
> vet
> available as Buddha needs the constant care.
> Cricket
> had two vets the month he was sick. Depending on
> the
> procedure, I went with the one I was most
> comfortable
> with. I wish I could recommend one for you by
> personal experience, but unfortunately, I don't know
> one that I would actually recommend. I do know
> there
> is an excellent oncology clinic at 12101 Greenville
> Avenue, I think close to the Forest Ln.
> intersection,
> called the Animal Cancer Center. The number is
> 214-437-9499. I would NOT wait until your regular
> vet
> comes back. Two weeks is a lifetime where Buddha's
> health is concerned. I like to call and talk
> directly
> to the vet so that I can get a feel for whether I
> like
> them, get a feel for their regular course of
> treatment
> for the particular illness, and also to find out if
> they are open to alternate or unorthodox care before
> spend money on an office exam. Since this is
> Saturday, you may want to just take Buddha's records
> in because they most likely will be really busy like
> most vets are on Saturday. Although I am not sure
> if
> they are open on Saturdays at all. I've never been
> there; just heard great things about it.
>
> I'm glad to hear Buddha is eating better. I can't
> believe he was taking the food from a syringe!
> That's
> not force-feeding, which is what a lot of people
> have
> to do with sick kitties. That's true
> assist-feeding,
> which is so much less stressful on both of you!
>
> It's such a blessing that you both are able to be
> there for him right now at all times. When Cricket
> was sick, I had to go to work during the day, and it
> just killed me to be there while he was at home.
> All
> I could think about was him.
>
> All you can do is your best Chandra, so try not to
> second guess yourself. Hindsight is 20/20, so you
> just have to do what your heart and mind are telling
> you to do, keeping in mind all the information you
> have gathered and what the experts are telling you,
> although many of us second-guess our own vets
> sometimes. There are so many different combinations
> of care that you could do for Buddha, so many
> different avenues to take and you can never know
> [...]

Love is not necessary to life, but it is what makes life worth living.