I think, but am not positive, that it normally takes months for an adverse reaction to occur.  But I would be afraid that any medicine could have an adverse reaction on Fu, given his age and condition.  However, Epogen also takes a while to show any good effects, and Fu is already doing so poorly, that a part of me thinks you should just give it to him now. But maybe it is wise to wait until morning.

Poor guy.  But Bonnie, I hope you realize, even though it does not make this any easier to bear, that it is a miracle for Fu to live so long. He is like my friend Al, who died two years ago today a day short of his 98th birthday.  I was with him on his last day, and I did not want him to go. But he was ready, and unafraid. He used to want to talk to me about death, as he felt ready and was very curious about what it would be like, and I was so freaked out at the thought of him dying that I could not talk about it and would tell him I did not think it was going to happen anytime soon. I wish now that I could have just dealt with it and talked to him about it, because he was ready and wanted to discuss it.  I am not saying this because I think you ought to stop trying to make Fu better-- I am very aggressive in trying to make things better, and have always hated anyone saying that I should not try due to age or something like that (I almost punched the doctor when I took Al to the emergency room, three months before his death, and the doctor asked him if he wanted to be treated and, when Al said he did, commented that many people his age do not and are just ready to go!).  I am just saying this because I think it is truly amazing that Fu has done as well as he has, that he has fought off so many conditions, and that you are incredible, absolutely incredible, for getting him this far.  I used to think that seeing Percy get very old and die would be impossible to bear, having known her since I was 12. I used to be so fearful of losing her when I would see her at my parents'.  But after adopting my positives and losing Josephine at 3 and Buddy at 1.5 years, I started looking at Percy with a sense of awe and gratitude that she had made it so far, and that she was going to die at the end of her life, the way things are supposed to be.

I have been wanting to say something like this to you for a few days, but have had difficulty figuring out how to word it, because I do not want it to be taken as castigation in any way for your attempts to help Fu.  While 19 is extremely old, I have heard of cats living into their 20's, and I think every cat should be given that chance.

Michelle