From: Lewis Faye
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: OT: help-removing carpet due to kitty urine

I agree with Sheila.  I had the same problem with actual hardwood.  With multiple pets, tile is one of the better options.  The problem is you must always clean up immediately.  My previous dog with liver issues urinated on a cat toy.  I didn't see the accident and had not idea it was there.  The urine molded in a few days and ruined those planks.  It was awful.

I have heard many dreadful tales about laminate flooring and pets.  People love it when it is new but when the accidents begin, look out for serious trouble.

If you must go with a wood type thing, look into bamboo flooring.  I have no experience with this but it has been recommended on other pet boards I visit.  I have no idea of the cost but I suspect it isn't cheap.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Wendy, I replaced the carpet in my hallway and living room two years ago with very expensive wood laminate and I have been miserable ever since. It looks great when you first put it down, but you can't let the kitties pee on it or mop it with soap and water. If the kitties do have an accident you have to get it up (immediately) with a damp mop. If they make a mess during the night or when you are away from home and can't get to it right away you are gonna have big problems. I had to mop mine with soap and bleach to feel like it was clean and sanitary and now I have a big mess the seams have buckled and the laminate is peeling a part. I hate to admit it but your hubby is right. I have done a lot of research and it looks like tile is the best solution for us pet lovers.  Sheila