Oh, Nina.  It's so good that he came home and is not in pain, and so awful that he has lymphoma.

I disagree that the depomedrol would be redundant with the dex, though I agree that pred would be.  The Depo is strong and long-lasting, and allows you to give the dex less frequently (dex is very strong).  The combination really seems to work well. But if she were going to give you only one of them, I do think the dex is probably the more important one.

I know you don't want to do chemo, but you might at least try the first kind that they give. It is a sub-q shot called Elspar.  It sometimes shrinks lymphoma quite a bit with the one shot, and maybe she would let you give the shot at home.  It is the one chemo drug with no side effects, as its only action is stop lymphoma cells specifically from reproducing.  Lymphoma cells die quickly and if they do not reproduce the cancer shrinks. In normal chemo regimens Elspar is followed up a week later by different and stronger drugs like Vincristine and Adriamycin, but I would think it would be better on its own, with the dexamethasone, than no chemo at all, and might be a good compromise since it is not stressful to give and has no side effects.  Mediastinal lymphoma, which is when it is where it is on Spencer, does tend to respond better to chemo of all kinds than other lymphomas.  So I would at least try the Elspar if you can, along with the steroids. I am not sure, but I think the Elspar is not that expensive either. But I could be wrong. One of the chemo drugs was very cheap, and I can not remember which one. It might be the vincristine.  Anyway, that is just my thoughts -- I am not sure whether a vet would even agree to do just one round of chemo, or to use just one chemo drug (though steroids are a form of chemo too, Simon's oncologist kept telling me).

Bless you and Spencer, whatever you do.  You will always know that he came home to you, and that is something quite large in itself.

Michelle