So, is he saying that cats don't throw the virus, they just harbor FeLV in another compartment of the body?  I am confused.

Gina

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I wrote to this person off list and asked them to clarify.  Here's his response:

> Let me rephrase that: IFAs depend upon advanced stages of infection to  detect the presence of antigen and thus won't usually pick up early  infections or sequestered infections *that don't involve the bone marrow*.  If cat tests ELISA+ and IFA- she's probably harboring an FeLV infection in  some nonmyeloid compartment of the body. >

Nina wrote:
I'm confused about who is asking what here.  Who's the person that is using caps to talk with?  Anyway, this was just posted on my feral list in answer to questions about ELISA vs IFA.  I don't know this person, (and I hope he wouldn't mind my copying his post for our list), but his response seemed knowledgeable and even in my foggy state of mind, a reasonable explanation.  I had thought that it wasn't possible to detect felv antigens in the bone marrow, (sequestered), even with an IFA.  I thought I'd throw his comments out there for others to comment on.
Nina
> the ELISA is about 100 times more sensitive than the IFA- but  not as specific- which accounts for the high % of false positives.  The  ELISA detects soluble (circulating) P27 antigen while the IFA detects P27  antigen in nucleated cells, neutrophils and platelets, or in bone marrow  cells.
 IFAs depend upon advanced stages of infection to detect the presence of  antigen and thus will not usually pick up early infections or sequestered  infections. The  increased sensitivity of the ELISA allows the detection of  early infections, transient infections, and sequestered infections that may  not be picked up by the IFA.    Neither the ELISA nor IFA will not detect viral latency, because during  viral latency P27 antigen is not being produced. >

Susan Franklin wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/11/06 8:37:18 AM >>>
    Susan,    I would wait *at least* 90 days and then get the IFA test.  WOULD I  NOT WANT TO GET
 THE ELISSA TEST AGAIN???  ISN'T THE IFA TEST "THE FINAL  SAY"???  IF THE IFA CAME BACK POSITIVE, WOULD I CONTINUE TO RETEST WITH  THE IFA?  AND HOW OFTEN?    Keep   giving the Mega C and good food and hopefully he will clear the virus.     But if not and it could take longer than 90 days, he'll still be   healthier with the supplements and better food, which gives him a  better   chance of fighting off any opportunistic diseases or viruses.  WILL DO.   THANK YOU.    I had Bailey tested once a year for about the first 5 years by then it    was obvious he wasn't going to throw it off, this is after the initial    retest in 90 days.  I had him PCR tested when he was about 8 years old    and it was in his DNA.  But he was healthy up until he got sick at   almost 11 years of age, and he tested positive at 5 months of age, so  he   lived a very good life for about 11 years being positive.  AND THANK  THE GOOD LORD BAILEY HAD YOU!!!!!!!!!!  I'M GOING TO DO ALL I CAN FOR MY
 GUNNAR.      AND HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T SEE ANY HUGE PROBLEMS WITH HIS MIXING WITH  KELLY AND MEAGAN (NEGS)??  I'VE GOT TO SAY....THIS SITE HAS GIVEN ME SO  MUCH HOPE FOR OUR FUTURE.  REGARDING MIXING, ETC.  THANK GOD YOU GUYS  WERE THERE TO TELL ME ABOUT THE WELLNESS FOOD AND THE MEGA C.  MY VET  WASN'T EXACTLY ENCOURAGING ABOUT HIM THROWING OFF THE VIRUS - AND OTHER  SITES ARE JUST SO "DOWN" ON MIXING.    God bless you all - you are generous with your time and advice and it's  just so obvious how much you love your furry friends!!

Please visit my Tigger Tales site!

On the fundraising page are my merchant affiliate banners.  If anyone uses my links to make a purchase, I will receive a percentage of all final sales.  I am going to donate 100% of the proceeds to animal welfare organizations.  This is a great way to shop your favorite online pet stores and give something to a worthy cause.  Thank you in advance!