At 09:38 AM 10/15/2006, you wrote:

the transfusion buys them the time for the Epogen to work,,,,,the epogen causes them to produce  their own Red Blood Cells, that is the simple explanation, It is not without it's risks which are not common,,, but the alternative is he willnot make it, I would suggest taking one of your othr cats with you to use as a donner,,,,,,,
Kelly

I will ask my vet first thing tomorrow about the epogen and prednisolone. His blood levels are at 11%, very low. As a matter of a fact, I may call the emergency clinic today and see what they recommend. I don't know what else to do. He's only 2 years old this month. You are sure that these meds. helped? The only thing that helped me when I was anemic was a transfusion. I don't just want to get him a tansfusion just prolong his pain. I don't want him going through all this again within the next few months. It's hard on him and us. I can't move him without him meowing like it's painful. It is just an awful sound. It is terrible just watching him suffer. I appreciate all your help (more than you know).
Thank you so very much.

Kris

Belinda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bailey got epogen and his anemia was corrected, a transfusion would
buy you time until you can find a vet how is willing to work with you to
try and treat your baby, your vet is not doing his job in my opinion.
Just because a cat tests positive and gets sick is no reason to not try
and treat what is wrong. Please either get your vet to become proactive
or run to another vet and get this kitty treatment. Too many vets just
say "it's the FeLV kicking in and there's nothing we can do".

Bailey's HCT number got as low as 15%, we got him back up to 40% with
epogen and pred, Bailey was FeLV+. Your kitty need immediate treatment,
what is his HCT? Bailey had a bone marrow aspirate to find out what was
causing his anemia and it was the FeLV in his bone marrow. We found out
also after he passed 5 months later he had pancreatic cancer, we knew he
had cancer but we just couldn't find it. We did every test imaginable
to try and pinpoint where but never did find it so we could treat it.
The anemia however was corrected and epogen along with a high dose
prednisolone (20mg daily in two doses of 10 twice a day). Bailey was 11
years old when I lost him in May, he was positive at 5 months of age
when I found him.

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...