Oh Leslie,

How awful!!  <ok - take a deep breath now> It's good that your boyfriend
called 911.  In the mean time (since I know you're not going to be in any
shape to study)...
First - Notify any and all shelters and vets and animal control in your
area & let them know both your cats names, colors, sizes, sexes, and the
fact that they are microchipped.
Second - Get your boyfriend's dog out & go walking in the direction that
the car went and where your bookbag was found.  Let him guide you as you
walk - the kitties love him, so may be more apt to come out for him.
Third - put up posters everywhere with pictures and a contact number (you
can do this while you're out walking with your boyfriend's dog)
Fourth - contact your local paper & TV station, see if they can help get
pictures out - the more people looking, the better

Please keep us posted!!
Kat (Mew Jersey)