Hi Michelle,
I take the cat's temps rectally and find that they normally don't mind as long as it's well lubed and they are relaxed (I use KY for it, but have used butter in a pinch - not as good).

I've also used those cover slips before - also with lubricant - and could see how maybe the seam of the sleeve could scratch or (god forbid) give a "paper cut" - ouch.  I seriously doubt that you poked hard enough to rupture anything and would just keep an eye on it, as I'm sure you are.

Leslie

From: wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lucy and taking temps

I don't know Michelle.  I hate those rectal
thermometers.  I bought a digital one at Wal-Mart
yesterday that goes in the ear (for humans).  I am
going to try to use that to see if it will work with
my kitties.  I would be afraid I'd hurt one of mine
using the rectal thermometer, or they would hurt
themselves if they got away while it was in.  I hope
it's nothing with Lucy, but it seems that the blood
could be indicative of what might be going on with
her.  Keep us posted.

:)
Wendy