Nina, the vet did a blood test because she was so thin and she isn't
eating as much. She is scheduled for 3 tooth extractions because the vet
said her tooth roots are exposed. Al least I'm grateful I know what is
wrong. I really didn't have a clue.  The vet gave her some depo and
antibiotics. I may try interferon. From what I read it seems to work.
I've had cats for 17 years and never had any experience with feline
leukemia.
Thanks for your words of support.
>>> Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/25/06 10:20 AM >>>
Hi Nancy,
I'm sorry you had to find us, but welcome to the list.  Gingivitis,
(irritated gums) is a common problem with felv kitties.  The weight
loss
is troubling though.  Is that why you took her to the vet and found out

she was pos?  Did the vet do blood work?  Is she eating the same as
always and still losing weight, or is she losing weight because her
mouth hurts her and she's not eating as much?

I'm a fan of homeopathic treatments, but sometimes when our fur babies

are in crisis allopathic measures are necessary, esp for acute
conditions.  Antibiotics have saved my kids on more than one occasion.

I'm sure you are going to get lots of good advice from the list
members.  Do searches on the group page and ask as many questions as
you
like.  Everyone is really supportive here.  Everyone understands how
upsetting it is to find out one of our babies has felv.  Take a deep
breath, we'll help you help Samantha as best we can.
Nina

Nancy Schneider wrote:
> I have had Samantha for i year. I just found out that she has
leukemia.
> She has red irritated gums and is losing weight. I have 4 other cats
> that have not contacted the disease. When I adopted her, I was
assured
> she was felv negative. I love her very much and I am researching the
web
> to get info to help her. I am planning on taking her to a holistic
vet.
> If anyone has any other suggestions....
>
> Nancy Schneider
> Management Analyst