My Simon, who had lymphoma in his bone marrow, went down to 11 one time. This was after he had had 2 transfusions. After the 3rd one we did a lot of steroids and he was on chemo, and his hematocrit came back up to over 30.  He later had a hemolytic reaction to either the cancer or the chemo and started killing off his red blood cells and went from almost normal to dying from anemia within one day.  We tried to transfuse him again but could not.

I would do it. Transfusions do not bother them much, especially when they are out of it from being that low. It will give you time to try.