Beautiful story, MC - Thanks.

Gloria

On Dec 31, 2006, at 10:06 AM, TenHouseCats wrote:

let me tell you about lacey susan, whom i affectionately refer to as my psychotic, all-4-paw-declawed psychotic calico.... she was rescued at 4 weeks, and lived with one woman til she was 5 years old. she was front-declawed as a baby, and rear-declawed at around 3, because the new husband was worried about his hardwood floors. (the cat weighed about 8# at her heaviest.) the husband died, and the baby was born--and it was one of those babies who truly was allergic to everything, including milk. so lacey went to live with her grandma, where she spent all her time hiding under the computer desk.

she came into the shelter where i volunteered, and i was told that she was most probably going to have to be euthed because she was nuts.... she'd do the headbonk, nudge, pet-me, pet-me, love-me, hiss, growl, bite, i'm-going-to-rip-off-your-face, headbonk, pet- me, pet-me routine.... she also looked almost identical to my FirstCalico, who'd gone to the bridge two years previously--and as you know, it's not usual to find two calicos with markings that similar. so, of course, i had to give her a chance. i am NOT reliably a communicator, but some cats DO talk quite clearly to me, and she has always been one. i realized she was terrifed, and acting out of fear and abandonment. i figured, hey, she has no claws, and as long as i stay away from the teeth, what's she gonna do to me, anyway? started out talking to her in her cage, and i promised her that no one would ever hurt her.... left her a shirt of mine to sleep with, to have my scent. over the following days, i was able to pick her up--the only person who could--and take her into the huge staff bathroom we had. i'd take a book, some toys, and just sit on the floor and leave her be. she'd sniff under the door, come over and nudge me, play with the toys, headbonk, and demand petting in between her "i'm going to kill you, human" episodes. i'd spend an hour or two with her each day. she'd go ballistic when i went to put her back in the cage, but other than that, she was definitely calming down--for me, at least.

there was a volunteer there who was big and fast, with very little awareness of cat signals, and not too surprisingly, she bit him one day, so she went into isolation for ten days--but i continued to work with her, and she continued to respond. she was still nuts, mind you, but less so.

the shelter board asked me to write up an evaluation on her so they could decide whether she should be put up for adoption, and one of the members decided that she could tame her, and took her home for two weeks. when she came back, she was worse than when she'd first come into the shelter, poor dear. the board had decided that she could only go to an only cat home, so i would not be able to adopt her. i was broken hearted, and pretty much stayed away from her, because i didn't want to get close to her again.

two weeks later, they told me i could take her if i wanted to, because i was the only person she'd ever responded to, and otherwise they'd have to euthanize her. i was ecstatic. i was concerned about how she'd do with the fully-clawed cats in the house--ha! i swear this cat files her teeth down in her spare time, they were in far more danger from her than she ever was from them! it was awful--she was attacking them constantly, as she'd managed to figure out how to reliably get out of the isolation space. she was attacking everything, actually--furniture, stuffed animals, me.... i had rescue remedy in a carrier solution which i could spray on her and the surroundings, and it seemed to help a bit, but after two weeks, it was rapidly becoming clear that something had to change. i was up on the bed with her, and i was in tears. she was letting me pet her, and i asked her if she really wanted to be on this earth any longer, that she was terrorizing the other cats and drawing way too much of my blood, and that things just could not go on like this. the little motley punk climbed onto my lap, and purred for 45 minutes. and things began to get better from then on.

that was seven and a half years ago. she STILL hates other cats, and will still attack stuffed animals when hissed off. she told me, after a bit, that she would NEVER be a pet again, because it hurt too much. that MAYBE, if i kept her as long as her first mom had, she would CONSIDER really trusting me.... this is a cat who did NOT purr--very occasionally she would practice what she insisted was "rhythmic growling," and would stop as soon as she was caught at it. (once we actually had the vet come out, because she'd been purring constantly, and we knew that there was something wrong!) almost five years to the day from when she came to live with me, she started purring more regularly.... she lived on top of the refrigerator for about 6 months after we moved into one place; lived on top of my computer monitor for ages at another point (and has never quite forgiven me for getting lcd monitors.)

i adore this cat, and have known since the first few months that, in her own very calico way, she loves me, too. (she's the spokescat for CaLiCo, the Calico Liberation Coalition, the radical, left-paw social and political organization dedicated to world domination.) she will NEVER be the cuddly little lapcat that her first mom swears she was, but i feel honored to share her life.

she is in early stages of CRF now, still treatable by diet. (she was raised on delicat, ie, garbage food, and would NOT eat ANYTHING else--would literally starve rather than eat good stuff.... quite annoying.) she's on a homemade diet now, so is in a room of her own which she LOVES, considering how much she dislikes other cats. she's positively affectionate now when i go into that room, and it's a joy. i have a meezer foster who, alone amongst the other cats, has figured out to get in and out through the screen door into that room, and they're actually been seen sleeping next to one another--i pretend not to notice, of course.

lacey susan is one of the greatest gifts of my rescue life.

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine