  From: TenHouseCats
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:48 AM
  Subject: Re: OT - Help, aggressive cat

  one thing i would do, kelley, is talk to her--explain to her that it's not
her fault that she lost her first home, that she's still a lovable creature and
that sometimes people break their promises to small furry ones. and let her
know the difference between foster homes and forever homes, so that she
understands that she won't be with you forever (unless that's where she's meant
to be)--otherwise, she's gonna go through the same trauma all over again. i
know they supposedly don't understand our words, but when we verbalize things,
they seem to pick up the ideas. i've seen many cats come into shelters very
depressed who perk up, and are able to put their best paws forward, when
reassured that it wasn't anything about THEM that caused them to be there.

  and she may actually feel safer, right now, in the anonymity of chaos,
because it doesn't require her to give more than she can right now--in a
single-cat household, she might be expected to be more affectionate and loving
and trusting than she is capable of being. lots of cats get returned to
shelters within the first day or so because they hide, or aren't friendly
enough.....