I have to agree.  Even places that start well can fall apart quickly.  (The
place in Florida that claims to never turn a cat away and has only been around
since 2003 really concerns me.  If they're not in trouble yet, they will be.)

  I have seen just a tiny handful of really wonderful sanctuaries.  They do not
advertise.  They are almost always full.  They typically expect a fee if it's
an owner turn-in situation -- after all, they are offering to provide lifetime
care -- but may help out rescue groups if space and resources permit.

  Want to test the sanctuaries you listed?  Have someone call and email,
pretending to be a member of the public who, for some good reason, absolutely
must rehome a special needs cat.  See how the sanctuary responds.  (And please
let us know.)  This should tell you a lot.

tamara stickler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    WATCH POOR SPELLING!  HUGE RED FLAG!!!!  A PROFESSIONAL sanctuary will have
PROFESSIONAL coorespondance!

  I posted a cat on Petfinder only to be contacted by someone whose "employer
wants to adopt my pet as a gift for his wife"....the story was that the guy
owned a car lot somewhere south and would pay to have the cat
transported.......Much of the e-mail was mis-spelled ...and had poor
punctuation.  I replied to the writter that I was certain he was a broker (most
likely "adopting" free to a good home or inexpensive adoption fee animals to
sell to universities...unrep. labs...or just for bait in fighting....)
mentioned something about hoping his member dropped off, and hit "send".

  Never accept someone else's assessement of a sanctuary.  Far too many of them
get good reviews from rescuers and animal rescue organizations that have,
although entrusted animals into their care, have never actuallly visited them
in person.  Too many of these organizations & or people, start with the best
intentions then become overwhelmed COLLECTORS.

  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS visit them yourself....or do not send an animal there.
 (I am speaking from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE!)

  Good luck.

TenHouseCats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  the no website/petfinder site is a bigger red flag for me, for tiger
ranch, than haven acres' not turning anyone away.... they're new, and
since we don't know their capacity, they may well have room. they
don't have very many cats listed on their petfinder page--far fewer
than many rescues--so they may well be taking in mostly adoptables and
turning them over.

what concerns me about them, however, is that nowhere do they talk
about being a special-needs sanctuary--which, obviously, FeLV (and
some think, FIV) cats certainly are. they say that all their
adoptables are FIV/FeLV neg, so they aren't adopting them out. what
they say is that, "Cats that are less adoptable due to age,
temperment, or color have a safe, loving home at the sanctuary for the
rest of there lives." grammar and spelling aside, no reference to
disability or ongoing medical conditions at all.... makes me nervous,
personally.

On 1/16/07, Susan Hoffman wrote:
> No personal knowledge on any of them. However, I did a little quick
> research:
>
> Tiger Ranch reports 0 income and 0 assets and apparently hasnt filed a
> return since 2004.
> http://www.taxexemptworld.com/organization.asp?tn=228853
> You may want to check further on their stability and compliance with laws
> relating to maintaining their non-profit status. Apparently no website or
> PetFinder site either.
>
> Rikki's Refuge looks like it might be worthwhile. From their website,
> Rikki's Refuge welcomes visitors to their sanctuary. That's always a good
> sign. http://www.rikkisrefuge.org
>
> Haven Acres has only been around since 2003. They claim never to turn
> anyone away. (Red flag.) They have a lot of cats listed on PetFinder and
> claim to feed exclusively Science Diet (no doubt the free to shelters and
> rescues program where you pay only shipping).
> http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL644.html I would be
> concerned that they are stretched too thin and this might not be a stable
> situation.
>

> Gussies mom wrote:
>
> Has anyone any first hand info or heard anything good or bad about the
> following sanctuaries:
>
> Tiger Ranch PA - We are sending 3 FeLV catsd there from a hoarding case
> Rikkis Refuge - VA
> Haven Acres FL
>
> Beth
> Bored stiff? Loosen up...