Hi Debbie,
First let me say HURRAY! for the neg results on all your cats. Your story has now been added to so many others on the list in confirming that mixing doesn't seem to be as big a concern as the veterinary community would have us believe. Such wonderful news for you and your babies.

Michelle, one of our list members has a cat that pulls and rends at her fur over nervous tension. She uses a benadryl compounded transdermal (made into a cream to apply to the inside of the ear tip) that seems to work wonders. You could try using an otc antihistamine like benadryl or Chlorpheniramine to see if it calms them enough to stop the behavior. I use Chlortabs periodically for my 20lb FIV boy, Starman, when he gets to chewing on himself (2 to 4mg or .5 to a whole tab daily) and it seems to keep whatever is making him itch under control. I would strongly suggest that you figure out a way to deal with whatever is making them so ill at ease environmentally though. Is there any way to give these guys their own space? I've used screen doors to separate guys that are afraid of being in general population so they can slowly be re-acclimated. That's another long discussion though :-) .

I read your email to your local Humane Society and their reply to you. I can understand why you are feeling like they don't appreciate your efforts and why you are upset at their not being more supportive. My first thought was that they were less nasty then I would have expected. Just to play devil's advocate... People at shelters and rescues deal with such horror day in and day out, that they can become overwhelmed and stuck in their ways of dealing with it. When they hear of someone with more than a few pets they probably worry that the situation will escalate into a "hoarder" situation, or, because they don't know you, think that somewhere down the line, they will have to step in and deal with things should they become overwhelming to you. You can see how quickly that can happen when you have a big heart and not enough resources to deal with all those in need. I stay far away from any sort of governmental organizations and NEVER give out my "number" to anyone that might cause trouble for me and mine, (that includes all strangers). I think it's commendable that you wanted to let them know that their views on felv are outdated, but sometimes it's next to impossible to change a shelter's policies about giving these guys a fighting chance. You have to remember that they destroy so many healthy, friendly, "adoptable" animals everyday. Killing those that have less of a chance at finding a forever home might be the lessor of two evils in their minds, even if it is a subconscious rationalization. If I were you and someone from the shelter was aware of my numbers, I'd write back to them thanking them for their concern and let them know that I fully intended to adopt out as many as I could and that I would not be taking in anymore animals until my numbers were lessened, (whether that was my intention or not). You don't want those guys sniffing around your house and you don't want to make enemies of them, no matter what the local ordinances are, they can make trouble for you if they are so inclined. Finally, I want to thank you for all you do for those in need around you. I'm glad you found the list, not only for what we might be able to give to you in support, but because it's always affirming to learn of others "out there" that are as committed as we are to our fur babies. Bless you and your entire family,
Nina

Debbie wrote:
As far as nervous chewing - our vet prescribed ovaban tablets. They seem to work but another vet says they can cause diabetes. What is this groups opinion on this? I recall years ago they also gave ovaban to me for male cat I had adopted. He was aggressive and they said it would calm him down. We have 3 cats out of the 14 that have skin problems. Sneezy pulls fur out on her hind quarters, Frodo has dandruff real bad, and then there is Cassie - she has licked the hair from her hind legs. All were fixed fairly young, except the Sneezy, the one who chews her hind quarters. She is also Cassie's mother. Frodo, the one with dandruff is very heavy and he seems to have allergies. Long haired and was bottle fed.
Any ideas?