Pardon me...this was due to the testing prior. I spoke with my  Vets about
this they said it can still be used as an estimate even though this  was being
tested on both cats and dogs.
Menu Foods knew this before putting it on the  market.

Pet Food Tests Killed 1 in 6, FDA Says
> Menu Foods Recalls Dozens Of  Pet-Food Brands
>
> POSTED: 10:05 am CDT March 20,  2007
>

> WASHINGTON -- As many as one in six animals  died in
> tests of dog and
> cat food that is part of a major  recall.
>
> Recall: Dog Products | Cat Products
>

> Canadian manufacturer Menu Foods conducted the tests
> after  fielding
> complaints that the products were killing pets
> around  the country.
>
> The government says Menu Foods tested suspect  dog
> and cat food on as
> many as 50 animals after it learned of  the problems
> -- weeks before
> the company announced its major  recall of the
> affected food. Seven
> test animals died.
>
> Menu Foods told the U.S. Food and Drug
> Administration that it
> received the first complaints of kidney failure and
> deaths  among cats
> and dogs on Feb. 20.
>
> During the tests, the  company fed its product to 40
> to 50 dogs and
> cats. Seven  animals died. The mix of species was not
> immediately
>  known.
>
> The FDA said wheat gluten is the likely source  of
> contamination that
> sparked a recall last Friday of 60  million cans and
> pouches of the
> suspect food, although the  agency says its
> investigators are looking
> at other ingredients,  too.
>
> Wheat gluten, a protein source, is commonly used  as
> filler.
>
> Menu Foods said the products were made with  wheat
> gluten from a new
> supplier. That supplier has been  replaced.
>
> The recall involves dozens of brands made by  Menu
> Foods. The company
> said an undetermined number of cats and  dogs have
> suffered kidney
> failure after eating the food and  about 10 have
> died.
>
> The recall includes "cuts and  gravy" style dog and
> cat food produced
> at Menu Foods' facility  in Emporia, Kan., between
> Dec. 3, 2006, and
> March 6,  2007.
>
> The pet food is widely sold throughout North  America
> under 51 dog-
> food brands and 40 cat-food labels,  including Iams,
> Nutro and
> Eukanuba. The products are  distributed by major
> retailers such as Wal-
> Mart, Kroger and  Safeway.
>
> A complete list of the recalled products along  with
> product codes,
> descriptions and production dates is  available from
> the Menu Foods
> Web site at menufoods.com
>
> Two other pet food companies -- Nestle Purina and
> Hill's Pet
> Nutrition -- are voluntarily recalling some of their
> products  that
> are made by Menu Foods.
>
> Officials are warning pet  owners to immediately stop
> [...]

Here is a link to the AVMA that is offering  advice.
_http://www.pr-inside.com/avma-offers-advice-to-pet-owners-r71034.htm_
(http://www.pr-inside.com/avma-offers-advice-to-pet-owners-r71034.htm)

Please read this is has interesting information regarding the  recalls and
media.
_http://www.howl911.com/_ (http://www.howl911.com/)

In a message dated 3/21/2007 8:04:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,