"Love sustains any of us more than food ever will."

These are words of wisdom, Susan...so very true.  You take wonderful care of
your furry friends.

elizabeth

On 3/24/07, Susan Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My personal cats average around 18 years (including one who was FIV+).
The canned food of choice is Friskies.  I buy it at Walmart or on sale at
the grocery store.  I tried upgrading their dry food to something corn-free
but, after I caught them digging through the crunchy bowls to get at the
cheap stuff on the bottom, I relented and picked up a bag of Meow Mix.  They
get liberal servings of people food and, again, I shop sales.  The fosters
all get the same as my own cats.

18 is a pretty good life for a cat.  The diet doesn't seem to be hurting
them a bit.  They all get lots of love and have the run of the place, lots
of freedom, soft beds, clean litterboxes, toys and cat trees and each other
for company.  I think that's why they live long lives -- life is good, why
leave?

Diet only goes so far.  Love sustains any of us more than food ever will.

*catatonya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:

Beth,
Please don't take one person's word as the opinion of the list.  We do
what we can.  And I applaud you for your rescue work.  I have had friends
whose cats lived much longer, healthier lives than my own have who ate
supermarket generic brands.  I am sure you do the best you can for your
cats, and please try not to be offended by the entire list based on one
person's patronizing attitude.

tonya

*Gussies mom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:

This is ridiculous. I come to this list because I have a sick baby that I
love very much. A cat that is not even "mine", though I wouldn't give him up
for the world. I'm looking for help and support. Now I'm being told I feed
my cats CRAP because I feed Science Diet because that is what the shelter
gives me. Now I'm being told I should give up my cats to someone who can
feed them better. My cats are all from the streets. They are problem cats
that nobody else wanted. Who would you suggest take them? I do rescue. There
are thousands of people trying to give up their animals. Should the shelter
I work with, that took in 700 animals last year, not take in unwanted
animals or pull them from death row because, after all, we will be feeding
them Science Diet CRAP? Should we not have taken in the cats with the broken
legs, the one that needed heart surgery, the one that was lit on fire, the
ones who's teeth are bad and have to be pulled, the ones who were kept in
chicken coops their whole lives, the ones who are so neglected they are
afraid of human touch, the ones who were sent by their wonderful owners to
live out their last days awaitng the gas chamber because they grew old or
became to much work; because we would have to feed them Science Diet?
I guess we should have told them we couldn't spend all that money on
medical care for them because we needed to feed them more expensive food.
I'm sure they would have understood. Perhaps we should have left Stamp
crying in the bushes at the Post Office. I'm sure someone in that run down
neighborhood would have come along and given him a much better home with
better food. I'm sure there were people just lined up!

My cats are taken care of. They go to the vet when they are sick. They are
loved. That's probably more than most cats in this world have.

I buy my clothes at thrift shops - yes, you can find nice things there. I
just sold an 11 year old car with 200,000 miles and bought a care with
91,000 miles.  I struggle to pay $425 per month for health insurance with a
2,500 deductible. I don't go out to eat a lot. I ususally eat yogurt for
dinner. I struggle to fund a 401K every month so I will have money in my old
age. . The last vacation I took (first in about 10 years) was driving a paid
for rental car (someone had hit my car, so I got a free rental) to Florida
to stay for free with a friend who lives by the beach. We all struggle to
make choices. I believe in personal responsibility. If have to take care of
myself. Yes, that comes first. Because if I cannot do that, then I surely
cannot take care of another living thing.
**
*Beth*
**
*"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:

I'm of the very controversial opinion that no matter how many cats you
have, there's no excuse to feed BAD food. If you can't afford to feed decent
food, then you can't afford to have that many cats. Get less cats, not less
expensive food. There isn't any excuse for anyone to ever feed a food that
doesn't have meat as the first ingredient... if you can't afford to feed a
meat-based diet, then you need to give up your cats to someone that can
afford to take proper care of them. That being said...

Healthwise is the "cheap" food I feed to my feral cats here. I would not
consider anything cheaper than that (it does have corn, but it's pretty far
down the ingredient list). My ferals are OBESE creatures, mind you -
something you generally don't see, LOL! They live the life of luxury though,
and lay around and sleep all day and night (except for food time). Here's
the link to the website for Healthwise, and Natura (the company that makes
it) is very good at getting it to most areas:
http://naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phaewryn

http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Special Needs Cat Resources